Patrol Safer Farther & Faster! With the Biggest Supplier of E-Bikes to Law Enforcement in the Nation.
- SAFETY - Without a doubt officer safety is our number one priority. Arrive on scene faster without fatigue
- FARTHER & FASTER - Improved response time, Our 48v lithium ion battery will give you the fuel to go farther & faster silently
- FORCE MULTIPLIER - Patrol a larger area with more frequency
- ALL TERRAIN PATROL - With 4″ all terrain tires you can go right through 6″ curbs and handle stairs without the fear of a pinch flat. With our hydraulic brakes, & front suspension you’re ready for a comfortable productive patrol anywhere
- GO GREEN with a PURPOSE - Ebikes are the first EV to go mainstream in the U.S. They not only offer the Green advantage, but as we say, "You can do more with Less" with a Recon. Patrol a larger area on a more frequent basis with a lower cost GREEN EV.
Why Choose Recon Power Bikes?
Response Time- An Officer can travel a significant distance quickly and not be fatigued on arrival to a scene. Thus not compromising safety.
Coverage – The power bike boost from an electric motor, allows Officers to expand their patrol area and cover more ground with greater frequency. We say "Do more with less on a Recon"
Mobility – They can maneuver through tight areas, crowds and nearly any terrain
Speed – When needed Officers can increase their level of pedal assist and quickly get up to 28 mph and up to 50 miles per charge
4″ Tires – No more pinch flats! Puncture resistant molded in liner. Super comfortable ride.
Cost Effectiveness – Power Bikes offer all these advantages at a cost not much higher than a standard mountain bike with all the additional benefits.
Training – Recon offers a one or two day training course as an addendum to the IPMBA course to train Law Enforcement on electric bike riding, maintenance, and tactics.
"Having eBikes helps our deputies to ride further, faster, and for a longer period of time. Conserving energy is critical for a bicycle response deputy who has to not only arrive quickly to help people but also have the energy to fulfill their duties upon arrival," Sheriff Chad Chronister -Hillsborough County (Tampa, FL)
Patrol Safer, Farther & Faster with RECON.
The RECON Power Bike can take you Farther & Faster on Patrol. Our Pedal Assist function will revolutionize your Biking Patrol experience. Don't worry about fatigue or response time with RECON, the powerful electric direct drive motor can assist you as you see fit. Faster response and less fatigue when arriving on scene equals a safer, efficient, and more successful Patrol. Our 48v Lithium Ion cells give you the power to travel up to 50 miles on a single charge and speeds up to 30 MPH.
The Recon Advantage. A True Force Multiplier!
"Ebikes give our Deputies the ability to respond quickly from a longer distance, and when they arrive on scene, they aren't exhausted - because an exhausted officer is a vulnerable officer."
- Allen County Sheriff
- Safety - An officer can travel a significant distance quickly and not be fatigued on arrival to a scene
- Coverage - The power bike boost from an electric motor, allows officers to expand their patrol area and cover more ground
- Mobility - They can maneuver through tight areas, crowds and nearly any terrain
- Speed - When needed officers can increase their level of pedal assist and quickly get up to 28 mph
- Strength - Officers arrive stronger. The boost from the motor allows officers to arrive on scene less fatigued. They spend less energy pedaling and more energy policing.
- Functionality - Nearly any Officer can ride a Power Bike, you don't need to be in peak physical condition. The power assist can be used as little or as much as desired, but when circumstances dictate, the option exists to kick in the power and get there fast.
- 4″ Tires - No more pinch flats! Puncture resistant molded in liner. Super comfortable ride.
- Fun Factor - Officers want to ride Power Bikes. Old bike programs become rejuvenated.
- Approach-ability - Both kids and adults that may never approach a squad car, will greet an officer on a bike. The Power Bikes generate extra interest and an ice breaker. A great Community Policing tool.
- Cost Effectiveness - Power Bikes offer all these advantages at a cost not much higher than a standard mountain bike with all the additional benefits. Maintenance costs are similar to a standard mountain bike.
THE TOP 10 ADVANTAGES TO A BIKE PATROL
Improved community relations, cost savings, faster officer response times and environmental benefits are just some of the reasons departments are putting their public safety officers on bikes.
1. BIKES ARE LESS THREATENING THAN PATROL VEHICLES
The novelty of a police officer on a bike is often enough to start overcoming the negative perceptions that some members of a culturally diverse campus population have about law enforcement.
Unlike patrol vehicles, which often reinforce these perceptions, bicycle patrols give an opportunity for a new impression (Menton, 2007). Most of the negative attributes associated with vehicle patrol officers - flashing lights, double parking and a noticeable wait time between arriving on scene and attending to the issue - are not associated with bicycle officers. As a result, those who come in contact with bike officers may be more cooperative and willing to listen.
2. OTHER BICYCLISTS ARE MORE ACCEPTING OF BIKE PATROL OFFICERS
Cyclists can connect with bicycle officers on different levels than vehicle patrol officers. They may be more receptive to education and/or enforcement efforts related to cycling behavior and more apt to follow advice on how to prevent bike theft. These individuals might develop a camaraderie with bike patrol officers that would not occur with law enforcement personnel riding in their cars. This camaraderie is important to community-oriented policing.
3. BICYCLE PATROLS RESULT IN MORE THAN TWICE AS MANY CONTACTS WITH THE PUBLIC THAN VEHICLE PATROLS
Students, faculty and staff are more likely to talk about legal matters, directions, parking information, or ask for information from a campus bicycle patrol officer. These positive contacts help counter stereotypes of police officers as "out to get you" and reinforce efforts to establish relationships of trust between the community and the department.
4. BICYCLE POLICE/SECURITY UNIFORMS HELP OFFICERS TO QUICKLY TRANSITION FROM THEIR TRADITIONAL LAW ENFORCEMENT DUTIES TO MORE SERVICE ORIENTED WORK
There is no doubt that the dressed down yet authoritative appearance of a bicycle officer's shorts and shirt provides a campus constituent with a different, less threatening experience. Agencies can opt for the traditional "Class A" style or a more relaxed golf-style shirt depending on their desired image.
5. PERPETRATORS DON'T NOTICE BIKE PATROLS
Individuals who break the law normally are not looking for bicycle officers. They are concerned with marked and unmarked squad cars (Kariya, 2004). Any bicycle patrol officer will relate story after story of riding up to crimes in progress, unnoticed or unrecognized by the perpetrators until the very last moment.
6. BIKE PATROLS CAN GO WHERE TRADITIONAL PATROL VEHICLES CAN'T
One of the biggest advantages to bicycle patrol is its ability to navigate swiftly around a campus, avoiding obstacles and hazards that would stop a patrol vehicle in its tracks. University and college campuses are characterized by car-free zones, clusters of buildings with limited vehicle access, constant construction, events of all kinds, texting pedestrians, and people skateboarding and even bicycling into traffic.
Responding to calls in a motor vehicle can take a great deal of time, and often the car can't access a remote location or is blocked by pedestrians or other barriers. As for events, whether the situation is a sporting event, concert or student protest, bicycle police have the unmatched ability to be in the center of crowds with the means to get to other areas quickly.
7. BICYCLE OFFICERS CAN USE ALL OF THEIR SENSES TO DETECT ILLEGAL ACTIVITY
Bicycle officers encounter crime as it is happening and can see, hear and even smell clues that lead them to areas where crimes are being committed.
Brad Miller, a Lewisburg bicycle officer, describes his apprehension of a suspect, saying, "As I began to ride past a building, a [Bucknell University Public Safety] car pulled alongside. Right then, I heard something in the bushes. That's right. I HEARD something that the officer in the car would never have heard," (Miller, 2006).
8. CYCLES HAVE OTHER USES
While essential for community policing initiatives, bike patrols can be integrated into other operations and initiatives. Targeted enforcement, surveillance, traffic enforcement, and public order are just a few ways in which bike officers can be deployed.
Even in unruly crowd situations, bike officers have a unique ability to develop a rapport with the members, defusing situations before they get out of control. When they do, bike patrol officers can not only maintain swift response times, but their bicycles can become a useful barrier. Bicycle officers are trained to hold up their bicycles at chest level while standing next to another bicycle officer. When the command is given, the bicycle officers march as one unit with the very sturdy, very light bicycle frame used as a shield (Goetz, 2002).
9. BICYCLES COST MUCH LESS TO PURCHASE AND MAINTAIN THAN TRADITIONAL PATROL CARS
The average fully equipped electric police bike costs far less than any other powered vehicle and, properly maintained, will last for years. They don't need gas for operation, nor the full-sized parking spaces required by other vehicles.
10. BIKES PROVIDE ENVIRONMENTAL AND HEALTH BENEFITS
Because bike patrols run on human power rather than gas, their carbon footprint is much smaller than patrol cars. With zero emissions and less need for pavement, bicycle patrols may be an attractive option for campuses with green initiatives.
Additionally, bike patrol officers tend to be healthier and more physically fit than their car-bound brethren. This has the side benefit of improving the department's image and cutting down on doughnut jokes.
Reduce Your Footprint & Your Fuel Consumption
Another terrific benefit to using a Recon Power Bike is community policing/engagement with an electric vehicle. Our power bikes are zero-emissions vehicles as they emit no combustion by-products. By spending less time in your squad car, you can not only reduce emissions but eliminate fuel costs as well. A few fun facts about electric bikes:
- They are 18 times more energy-efficient than an SUV
- They are 13 times more energy-efficient than a car
- They are 6 times more energy-efficient than rail transit
- They have about an equal impact as conventional bicycles
Training – The Key to a Successful Bike Patrol
Training is an important aspect to any Law Enforcement Agency. Ebikes are relatively new in the US market and most importantly in the the law enforcement realm. Training and certification is common for regular pedal mountain bikes, however specialized ebike training is somewhat difficult to procure. Recon offers a one or two day training course as an addendum to the typical IPMBA training and a certification for the law enforcement ebike officer. Our trainer is a 30 year military veteran with extensive military training experience.
Below is the rendering of our new state of the art Ebike training facility under construction.
Recon Power Bikes proudly offers a wide variety of Law Enforcement Ebikes to best suit your mission and budget. Take a closer look at each of our patrol rated Ebikes we offer and purchase your power bike today!